Yate Town Council Offices / Poole Court
Please note that Poole Court is no longer the registry office. The registry office is now located in the Kingswood Civic Centre. You can contact the registry office on 01454 863140
The Town Council Offices are situated in Poole Court, Yate, which was built in the early 1850’s. Originally, it was a grand family home, situated in the middle of green fields just off Turnpike Road, which is now Station Road.
Address: Poole Court, Poole Court Drive, Yate, South Gloucestershire, BS37 5PP
Telephone: 01454 866506
History of Poole Court
In 1879, Kelly’s Directory listed the house as one of notable properties in Yate. At that time, it was occupied by Mr Richard Roljamb-Hill and the Hill family of Bristol Shipping fame.
The last member of the Hill family to live in Poole Court was Charles Gathorn-Hill, a prominent local figure.
First World War
During the First World War, Poole Court was used by the Flying Corps as an Officers Mess after a ministry maintenance base had been established here in Yate.
After the war, it remained empty until 1925 when it was bought by George Parnall and Co and used as offices for the aeroplane industry’s design staff.
In 1932, Augustus and Hedley Newman bought the property and Poole Court reverted to being a home. However, this magnificent building was lost from public sight for many years owing to the success of the flourishing electrical machinery business that developed on the site around the house.
When Hedley Newman moved out of the house, the building was used as offices.
Council helps save Poole Court
In 1988, property developers took over the entire site. To prevent the building from being demolished, Yate Town Council entered into negotiations with the developers and the former Northavon District Council, in an effort to both save and obtain the property for the benefit of the community.
Council restores Poole Court
Following a public consultation, the Town Council agreed to restore the building and use it for community and civic functions, to include marriage ceremonies. It may surprise you to learn that the building was bought by the Town Council for just one pound.
After alteration and restoration, the building was officially opened in September 1990 by Herr Reiner Wegner, the Burgermeister of Bad Salzdetfurth, Yate’s twin town in Germany.
The building now houses the Town Council Offices and a number of community rooms, which are let to groups and organisations. For details regarding room hire, contact Yate Town Council on 01454 866251.
The display cabinets in Poole Court house regular exhibitions. Please pop into the building to take a closer look.
Interested in Hiring this Venue?
Poole Court is an elegant nineteenth-century mansion house in the heart of Yate, providing a perfect setting for:
- Company meetings
- Training seminars
- Social occasions
There are rooms of various sizes to cater for all needs. For those who wish to organise catering, there is a well-equipped kitchen. Alternatively, you can simply hire a trolley for tea, coffee and biscuits.
We have a variety of sized rooms from Heron 1 suite holding up to 50 people to the Hooper room holding up to 8 people. The building is accessible for disabled visitors.
The Council Chamber Heron 2
Please visit the Hire a Venue page for more details, including hire rates.